What makes a perfect getaway? Vacation? Romantic honeymoon in Mountain City near Boone, NC? Something memorable, enjoyable or relaxing, romantic or daring?
While the inn is in a mostly rural area with miles of forest, mountains, streams and lakes, we are near towns, entertainment, fine dining and nightlife. You choose–excitement or pure relaxation.
From hiking and biking to horse back riding, shopping, scenic drives to boating, water and snow skiing to back roads and by-ways rich with centuries of history, a different adventure awaits not matter what direction you go from the inn.
7 Ways to Enjoy the Wonders of the Appalachian High Country:
Outdoors – Enjoy It!
- Biking the Virginia Creeper Trail
- Overcoming the ‘swing’ of the Swinging Bridge on Grandfather Mountain (incredible views included)
- Boating on or picnicking beside Watauga Lake,
- Enjoying a new vista around every turn on the backroads and the ● Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Our inn’s guest rooms are large, private and relaxing.
- Book a massage from a local practitioner, “check in” to your private whirlpool tub (bubble bath and candles provided by us!)
- And most certainly, DO NOT set your alarm or listen for the children…
- Find yourselves as a couple again.
Scenic & Fun
- Appalachian High Country—where Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia converge—has delightful scenery, one-of-a kind stores to visit, trails to stroll or hike, waterfalls to splash in, ghosts to seek out and natural beauty to soak in.
- How about lake boating or wine tasting? Let us suggest the perfect route for you.
- Organized into “one day tours” in NC, TN and VA. LINK We’ll customize it for you.
Friends & Family, Events
- Prospect Hill is the perfect place to hang your hat while attending local reunions, weddings and funerals. Renew old friendships and have some time to yourself.
ATVs on Doe Mountain
- One mile from the inn—Doe Mountain Destination Park is now open for ATV/off roading, mountain bikes and hiking. Other rugged sports coming soon to Tennessee’s newest outdoor sports park on 8600 acres right behind the inn. Yes, we have parking for trailers!
- DOE MOUNTAIN RECREATION AREA and DOE MOUNTAIN TRAILS.
Rooms during NASCAR weekends
- High-quality guest lodging plus a small rental house–just 45 minutes from Bristol Motor Speedway. Now reserving for April, 2015, football Sept. 2016.
Weddings, Elopements LINK.
If doing nothing at all is your style, a mountain vacation is great for you. Need to stay in touch while out and about? Prospect Hill has free wireless internet. Most areas have good cell tower coverage. (Exceptions: tall mountains block a stretch by Watauga Lake and the south side of Damascus near the creek.)
Location and Convenience
Think of the inn as being in the center of a peace sign–seriously. The main roads run north, southeast and southwest from the inn and Mountain City, Tenn. Each road runs to a different state–Virginia, North Carolina and eastern Tennessee–where different activities abound.
Land of Daniel Boone
Famed frontiersman Daniel Boone (1734-1820) blazed a trail to the bluegrass of Kentucky in the late 1700s and spent many days in the woods near the inn, leaving his mark on the landscape and once leaving his road horse behind in what became Roan Valley (Mountain City). Today, in many places, your travels will take you in Boone’s footsteps. Due south of Mountain City, Boone, NC, is named after him. Redtail Mountain Golf Resort is in the valley he returned to time and again.
Historic Northeastern Tennessee
The area to the southwest includes a Tennessee Valley Authority dam on Watauga Lake. Boating, fishing and scenery abound near the tallest earthen dam east of the Mississippi River. At Sycamore Shoals in Elizabethton, TN, a Revolutionary-era fort has been recreated. Across the Watauga River, Rocky Mount recreates the life of the colonial governor of the short-lived State of Franklin, TN (1790s). Further down the road is Jonesborough, Tennessee’s oldest town, today filled with storytellers, shops and history.
Southwest Virginia, the northern neighbor
Laurel Creek runs north through a crack in the mountains to Damascus, VA, home of the 34-mile rails-to-trail called The Virginia Creeper Trail. Near here, Sequoya, creator the Cherokee written language is thought to have been born. Today visitors explore the area close up by bicycle, on the curving roads via motorcycle or on hikes through the Grayson Highlands State Park headed to Mt. Rogers, Virginia’ s highest peak. Trail Days takes over Damascus, VA in May when through hikers on the Appalachian Trail gather to celebrate their hiking experiences.Further north, theater goers enjoy The Barter Theater in Abingdon, VA, a town surveyed by Thomas Jefferson and his father in the late 1700s. Abingdon is home to a half dozen seasonal festivals, including the Virginia Highland and Plum Alley Festivals.
High Country North Carolina
“The Three B’s” –Boone, Banner Elk and Blowing Rock, NC — are some of their state’s best-known vacation towns. They are a short 25-40 minutes southeast of the inn. Shopping, dining out, modern art museums and galleries, Appalachian State University sports and cultural events, hiking, scenic byways, fly fishing and choose-and-cut Christmas tree farms are just some of the regional activities in this area.
Getaway guest rooms at Prospect Hill Bed and Breakfast
Prospect Hill is ideal as getaway or vacation lodging because of its central location outside the hustle and bustle of some very busy towns. The inn offers more space and more amenities for the price, more privacy and quietude.
Select from five guest rooms each with their own personality–queen or king beds, whirlpool tubs, fireplaces, TV, wireless, snacks, robes, bubble bath. Breakfast is included free. Prices$109-$179 (to $235). Higher during special event weekends. The inn’s Cottage in the Woods is ideal for families with several children and anyone wishing to travel with their pet.