Winter means skiing. Summer means white water rafting. Every season means hiking, biking and walking in the woods.
- Hawksnest Zipline: Ride in winter above snow-tubers at Seven Devils, N.C., and over creeks and through trees. 800-822-4295
Skiing less than one hour away:
- Comprehensive skier info LINK
- Appalachian Ski Mountain: Blowing Rock, N.C., 828-295-7828.
- Beech Mountain Ski Resort: Beech Mountain, N.C., 800-438-2093.
- Sugar Mountain: Banner Elk, N.C., 800-784-2768. Ice skating, tubing, too.
- Hawksnest at Seven Devils, snow tubing, zipline
White water outfitters; choice of rivers
- High Mountain Expeditions: New River, Watuaga, Nolichucky and other rivers. All rafting. Six convenient outposts. 800-262-9036
- River and Earth Adventures: 828-963-5491 Raft, canoe, hike, cave, gem mine, tube, kayak
- My USA Raft - 1-866-872-7238, Nolichucky (Erwin, TN) and French Broad Rivers
- Wahoos Adventures: Whitewater, caves, kayaking, tubing, Northwest NC and NE Tennessee. 800-444-RAFT
Waterfalls we recommend:
•| Gentry Creek and Falls (you’ll get very wet feet, off Hwy. 91 between Mountain City, TN and Damascus, VA)
•| Linville Falls (off the Blue Ridge Parkway, near Grandfather Mountain).
•| Elk River Falls (on the NC-TN line near Banner Elk, NC)
•| Whitetop, VA
•| The small falls at Backbone Rock (between Shady Valley, TN and Damascus, VA)