Restaurants Near Mountain City —Recommended Local Dining
- Tributary on Main – 118 W. Main St. Mountain City. 423-727-4150 Walk to this relaxed gem with seafood, Italian, specials. Larger dining room, booths, private dining room. Gourmet salad bar. Catering available. Open for lunch Tuesday-Sunday. Dinner: Fri.-Sat (in season). Generally child friendly. Casual atmosphere with white table cloth food. Sorry, closed in January.
- Suba’s Restaurant – Hwy. 421 south, Mountain City, 423-727-5657. Open Wed.-Sat. and Sunday lunch. Closed between Christmas and Valentine’s Day. Known for Luanne’s fluffy desserts and massive menu choices. Reservations recommended based on smaller dining rooms size; tables only. Appropriate for very quiet children only.
- La Cucina – Butler, Thurs.-Sat. 11-7. Italian. Good reviews. Reserve a seat. Cash only. Wed. – Sat. for dinner, seasonal. Also open for lunch. No website-see Facebook. Reservations a must; closed in winter.
- Captain’s Table on Watauga Lake, (Hampton, TN) – great sunsets, steaks and seafood (seasonal). Quieter children. Full bar with lake and sunset view. Lunch, dinner, closed in winter.
- Restaurant at Redtail Golf Resort (closed in winter).
Alcohol sales limited to beer stores in nearby Johnson County, TN, and Redtail Golf Resort (subject to availability). Locally-produced wine sales by the bottle at Watauga Lake Winery (seasonal). BYOB potential at some eating establishments. Alcohol consumption allowed at the inn. Wine glasses provided in all guest rooms. Ice, ice buckets, openers available from the innkeeper. Please ask.
Featuring Locally-sourced Foods (nearby Boone NC)
- Casa Rustica – family owned, opened in 1981, Boone’s Authentic Italian restaurant offering traditional family recipes that include only the freshest, local ingredients. homemade Italian dishes, certified Angus beef, local fish and fresh vegetables. 1348 Hwy. 105 Ext. (south of 321), Boone, NC, 828-406-7085.
- Joy Bistro (formerly The Bistro) of Boone – Hwy. 421 near the Boone Toyota. Exceptional food and service. Modern cuisine – rates innkeepers’ thumbs up along with restaurants listed above). Reservations a must (except mid-week sometimes). 115 New Market Centre, Boone, NC 28607 828.265.0500
- Hob Knob Farm Cafe – Our farm is located in a fertile valley on the banks of the Watauga River. We grow fruits, vegetables, herbs & spices for our cafe in Boone the Hob Nob Farm Cafe in downtown, Boone. 506 West King St. Boone, NC 28607 828-262-5000 – cafe
- Lost Provence Brewing Company (microbrewery, gorumet pizza). Downtown Boone, around corner from Mast General Store, free parking across the side street, 130 N. Depot St. Boone, NC (828) 265-3506
- Numerous restaurants in Boone and Blowing Rock, NC. See the innkeeper for a map with these.
The Gamekeeper Restaurant – features “modern mountain cuisine.” Fresh locally-grown produce, farm raised meats and game, and ever-changing fish specials prepared over a hickory wood-fired grill. Worth the drive off the Blue Ridge Parkway, near Blowing Rock, 3005 Shulls Mill Rd.,Boone, NC 28607 | 828-963-7400.
- Watauga Lake Winery – about 11 miles from the inn. Remake of a 1940s school building to house bottling facilities and reception facility. 6952 Big Dry Run Rd., Butler, TN 423-768-0345. Seasonal April-November, open Thurs.-Sat. 11-6 pm & Sundays 1-5. pm. Locally-grown product bottled and sold on-site. Some weekends have special events…..see website.
- Grandfather Vineyard and Winery – nice location next to a stream, 1 block off Hwy. 105 between Boone and Linville, NC. Great place to “chill” during warmer seasons. Vineyard Lane, Banner Elk, NC 28604. (828) 963-2400 Thurs.-Sat. 12-6 and Sundays 1-5 pm.
- Banner Elk Winery – off 194 north of Banner Elk. Signage difficult (not at the corner). Sunday music. Parking is tight. 60 Deer Run, Banner Elk, NC 28604 (828) 260-1790
- Abingdon Winery– Nice location with view of the Holston River nearby. Largest patio. 20530 Alvarado Road, Abingdon, VA 24211. (276) 623-1255 Closed Mondays. Open Tuesday-Saturday 10-6 and Sundays 12-6. May have winter/closed hours.
- Thistle Meadow Winery– uniquely making wine in 5-gallon glass jugs in a shed. It’s good! Also a bluegrass venue. Located off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Sells wine-making supplies. 102 Thistle Meadow, Laurel Springs, NC 28644 (800) 233-1505. Open Monday through Friday 9-5, Saturday 12-5, Sunday 12-4.
- For all locations —Check for winter hours and closings
Local, casual restaurants (Mountain City, TN)
- Teammates Pizza – downtown Mountain City. New York style by people who know. No delivery. Main stream salad bar.
- Pizza Plus –delivers. Also see Quincey’s Pizza (downtown Damascus, VA). Children welcome.
- Poblamos – Ask for “real Mexican” and you’ll get it! Children welcome; artful, colorful painted booths
- Monsoon Thai – Hwy. 67 west toward Butler. Authentic. No late hours. Closed Sundays.
- The Soda Fountain – old tyme juke box, ice cream sundaes, malts and floats. Plan to spend time; this is not a fast food joint. Closed Sundays and part of Wednesday.
- Mike’s BBQ – A good combo of eastern pulled smoked pork and western sweet wet sauce. Picnic table or eat in your car.
- Duffy’s “Amish” Store with a deli counter in Mountain City. Specialty cheeses. South Church Street.
- Hardees, McDonald’s, Subway,Little Cesars’s Bizzies Burgers & Tacos, Broasted Chicken and Burger King. China Buffet, Japanese take out (next to Food Lion), deli counters in Food Lion and Food Country, 100 East Main St., Mountain City.
Other food/Damascus, VA:
- In the Country (casual home cooking), Cowboys (in the convenience store- casual/home style), Whistle Pig (casual). All are exceedingly child friendly.
- Blue Blaze Cafe. New this summer. You tell us about it!
- Seasonal means generally closed late fall to spring; ask inn for details. some restaurants have websites.